Thursday, December 26, 2013

Lessons Learned Part 2

I was going to write yesterday because I feel the second lesson I learned at the funeral I attended last week applied to Christmas but, the day after will have to do.

The speaker quoted Luke 2:14. "Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men."

He said that the more correct translation read "Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, to men of good will." He then said that the peace on this earth, afforded by Christ, is claimed by men of good will. He said that the man who's funeral we were attending was such a man.

Peace is something that seems so elusive to an addict. To me. At times it is ever present but quickly disipates with acting out or, for me, even just from the memories of what I've done and the hurt I've caused. I feel at times that I will forever be undeserving of that peace. But when it is there, it is only the peace that the Savior can bring. I crave that peace!

I want to study this more. I want to know what it means to be a man of good will so I can start working on becoming that type of man. Because the peace the Christ offers is something I want to claim. I know my recovery efforts and turning to Him will bring peace, and I also know that peace can come to other aspects of my life by following Christ's teachings.

These are just some of the things I learned last week. Im grateful to have been able to be taught.


4 comments:

  1. Pretty sure men of good will do dishes... so you're already on your way! ;) Thanks for that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 3 Things: 1) Alicia, I love you!! You're amazing!! (I was up until 2am last night too. I tried to comment on your post, but couldn't figure it out? Maybe comments are off, not sure?) 2) Beautiful thoughts, Danny. 3) I have been studying Mosiah 4 for nearly a week now. I thought of Mosiah 4: 5-12 when I read your post, basically the part in vs 12 where it says, "If ye do this ye shall always rejoice, and be filled with the love of God..." [Verses 5-11 state what it is that we must do to have that great Love of God.] To me the Love of God is Peace, like the peace you are speaking of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alicia is amazing, I'm a lucky guy! Thanks for your kind words and insights. I'd never thought of this before but makes sense.

      Delete